Results Day FAQs

Every year we get a lot of queries about results. To make it easier for you, we've compiled this list of frequently asked questions. Please scroll down the page to view all the FAQs. 

If you have a question that doesn't appear here, you can contact our advice centre on 01865 484770 or by emailing them -

Frequently asked questions

I cannot log onto PIP 

With such a high volume of traffic over this period, it is possible that PIP will crash at times. However you should also be able to get your results by logging onto the Results Portal and if you are due to get results you will recently have received an email from Student Central telling you how to access the Portal so check your inbox.

My results are not on PIP

Check that they are due to be released today. Not all results are available on the same day. Check your PIP. If you have an outstanding disciplinary decision or mitigating circumstances application your degree classification will be deferred until the matter is resolved.

I have to resit an exam/ resubmit coursework. When will resits take place?

Undergraduate Modular Programme Semester 2 exam resits and coursework resubmission will take place during the week beginning Monday, 1 July 2019.

Dates and times will be published on your PIP and Google calendar and it is your responsibility to check your PIP and to find out when and where your exams are held. If this information does not appear on your PIP page you should talk to your Module Leader.

Note: postgraduate resits may be scheduled on different dates.

I was granted a resit/retake due to mitigating circumstances but I am happy with the mark I was awarded and I don’t want to resit/retake. What should I do?

If you are due to graduate you should have received an MX191MC letter. You must follow the instructions in that letter if you wish to graduate. You should do this without delay as you will only have a few hours within which to act.

If you are a continuing student you need to inform your Module Leader immediately that you wish to keep the mark you were awarded and do not wish to take the resit/retake. 

If you have a mitigating circumstances application that has not yet been processed contact Student Central for advice.

I had booked my graduation ceremony for June but I will not graduate as I have a resit. What should I do?

Your graduation will automatically be deferred to 30 - 31 August 2019. If you have any queries please contact the graduation team 

I will be away during the resit period. What can I do?

It may be possible for you to take your exam in another country and you can find out more here

You must have a good reason why you cannot take your exam at Brookes and permission is at the discretion of the University. Be aware that there is only one resit opportunity.

When do the resit results come out? 

Resit results for UMP students will be published on Monday, 22 July 2019.

If I pass my resit, when will my graduation take place?

Graduation ceremonies will take place beginning on Friday, 30 August  2019. See the graduation page of the Brookes website for further details.

Why haven’t I been given a resit?

If you are an undergraduate you will only be given a resit if your original mark was between 30 - 39%. If you have a mark of less than 30% you will have failed and may need to retake the module. Please note that there will be a charge for taking the module again unless you have been given a disregard due to mitigating circumstance. If you have been given a resit and you pass, your mark will be capped at 40% regardless of how well you do unless you have made a successful application for mitigating circumstances in which case the mark will be uncapped.

If you are a postgraduate you will only be given a resit if your original mark was between 
30 - 49%. If you pass your resit your mark will be capped at 50% regardless of how well you do unless you have made a successful application for mitigating circumstances in which case the mark will be uncapped.

I am not happy with the mark I have been awarded for my exam. What can I do?

You cannot challenge academic judgement but there are some grounds under which you may appeal a mark. They are

a) the assessment was not conducted in accordance with the regulations for the programme
b) the judgement of an examiner(s) was affected by personal bias
c) there was an administrative error or some other irregularity in the conduct of the assessment causing the assessment decision to be significantly different 

You must state which ground(s) you wish to appeal under and give details of the reason why you believe the ground was breached. You must also provide evidence to support your claim, for example a copy of the relevant section of the course handbook. You must submit your appeal within two months of the publication of the result and you must make your appeal on an Appeals and Complaints form. You will find more information about the Academic Appeals regulations and an appeals form here

If you would like advice on whether you may have good grounds or help with the appeal process please contact Brookes Union Advice Service. 

I am 0.5% off being awarded an honours degree in next classification up. Can I do anything?

If you have achieved an average mark of between
49.5% but less than 50%
59% but less than 60%
68% but less than 70% 
you will fall into a borderline and will be considered for a higher class of award.  

If you are on a borderline Brookes will then look at the semesters over which your last eight graded acceptable module credits occur. If any four acceptable graded credits are in the higher class of award you will automatically be awarded a degree in the next class up.

Be aware that failed modules still count towards the eight graded modules, double or triple modules are counted as two or three individual module credits, placement modules are not graded modules so do not count in the eight and modules disregarded through mitigating circumstances are not counted in the eight. 

Acceptable modules will have a two letter code in capital letters next to the module title. Modules with lower case codes or no code are not acceptable.

I was ill during my exams and could not attend. What can I do?

You should already have made an application for mitigating circumstances but if you have not, you should do so without delay. Please be aware that if you make an application for mitigating circumstances after the release of results on 11 June 2018 you will need to provide very convincing reasons to explain why it was not possible for you to apply before this date. You must provide supporting evidence to demonstrate not only that you had mitigating circumstances but also to demonstrate that you could not have made your application at any time between the date of your assessment and the date you actually did make it. You can find out more about mitigating circumstances and how to apply here 

I have to repeat a year because I did not progress. Will I continue to get funding from Student Finance England? 

If you have not had to repeat a year before and you have no other periods of previous study at level 4 or above (apart from the time spent on your current course) you should be able to get funding for your repeat year.
Student Finance England allows students who are eligible for funding, to receive a Tuition Fee Loan and any Maintenance Grant and Maintenance Loan due to cover the ordinary duration of the course, plus one additional year to allow for the above kind of eventuality.
If you have already had funding for a repeat year or you have spent time at an educational institution on a course that is at level 4 or above your funding is very likely to be affected. Please contact Brookes Union Advice for advice on your options.

I cannot graduate because I have not passed enough acceptable modules. Will I be able to get funding to take or retake enough modules to complete my degree?

Please refer to the answer above.

I have been informed that I have been excluded for academic failure. Can I do anything to reverse this? 

The general rule is that if you fail to pass at least three module credits over two consecutive semesters, you may be excluded for academic failure. If this happens you will not be able to continue with your course. If you believe that difficult circumstances, for example ill health or serious personal problems, were the reason for your failure it may be possible to apply for late mitigating circumstances. For further information please contact Brookes Union Advice.

Do I have the right to see my exam paper?

Yes you do have the right to see it but you cannot take it away. You will be allowed the opportunity to look at it in a room with your Module Leader in attendance.

Can I get a breakdown of the different components of my module?

Yes you can ask your Module Leader for this. 


Powered by