Sunday 13-12-2020 - 15:13
I’ve been working on several manifesto points this semester.
Here’s what I’ve achieved so far:
Improving access to wellbeing:
- Changed the referral process so you no longer need to fill in a long and difficult questionnaire - instead there’s a really quick expression of interest form
- Lobbied the University to commit to additional spending on wellbeing, which has secured an online wellbeing platform that will give students 24/7 access to support, as well as additional staff support.
- Secured resourcing for a ‘phone bank’, as we felt it was important that the University reached out to students proactively and checked in with you all. You should receive a call from them at some point soon!
- Organised training for the Sports Welfare Officers to ensure they know how to signpost and support students. I’m working to organise more training next semester.
- Introduced Mental Health Mondays on social media, which aims to open up the conversation up mental health.
- Introduced a pronouns policy to help improve inclusivity at the Union and I’m working on lobbying the University to adopt our policy.
- Established an EDI (equality, diversity and inclusion) exec made up of portfolio officers, network chairs and faith culture societies. This exec has a veto on Union policies, making sure that all policies we pass work for all students.
Safety and Security:
- Secured a commitment to lighting the route from Clive Booth to Headington via the old Helena Kennedy site. This work should be completed by the end of the year.
- Participating in a sexual consent policy, alongside Meredith (Women’s Officer), which is exploring how to improve processes such as Report and Support, as well as working to produce consent education for students.
- Working with Thames Valley Police on their Safer Streets project aimed at reducing crime from burglaries.
There's loads more work to be done in Semester 2, and I'll keep you updated.