Sunday 13-12-2020 - 00:00
As VP: Student Voice a lot of my role centres around supporting our incredible network of student reps. I’ve also gone to a LOT of University meetings this semester, raising your concerns, issues and feedback, as well as working to improve some University policies.
Here’s a some of the things I’ve achieved so far:
Improving the student representation system:
- Brought in faculty reps - an additional level of leadership within the reps system (local leaders)
- Ran a series of reps training webinars
- Introduced ‘rep of the month’ to celebrate the achievements of our student reps
- Improved communication with the reps - introduced both Slack and a regular representation newsletter
- Currently organising a student activism and representation week to help students develop skills and make change.
- Conducting a review of GPA (Grade Point Average) following student feedback
- Successfully lobbied for the removal of the ‘fit to sit’ policy - this policy contradicted the resit policy and was not fit for purpose
- Achieved a 5 day grace period (inbuilt extension for all students)
Other things I’ve been working on:
- Safe Taxi provision extended to HLS placement students - helping to provide them with a safer alternative to travel to placements
- Brookes Union Teaching Awards - we ran a digital showcase for the delayed 2020 awards and have started planning the 2021 Teaching Awards.
- Supporting specific student concerns: eg deadline extensions or complaints around the loss of value due to Covid