Sunday 13-12-2020 - 15:16
It’s been an unusual year for our societies who have worked really hard to move their events online and support their members. I’m really proud of how they’ve responded!
Some of the manifesto points I’ve been working on this semester are:
- Marquee on campus: over the 5 week period before the second national lockdown we held 5 society and sports team events a week in the marquee space on campus. This enabled 1,250 students to take part in these activities.
- Society planning/process review - we have begun the process of reviewing society processes (paperwork) which we will continue next semester as we look to improve things for societies.
- I wanted Brookes to try and raise £15,000. You raised an incredible £51,000, bettering last year’s total by £37,257 and finished 12th out of all universities in the country! That’s an incredible amount!
- Launched Brookes in Conversation with... a series of talks with industry professionals aimed at career journeys and employability skills that students can learn/gain and be more employable. More events to come next semester.
- Supported event management students to deliver Christmas activities - helping them build transferable skills (and of course keeping students entertained during the second lockdown).
Supporting sports students:
- BUCS fees - I am fighting for the partial refund of BUCS fees for students who have been coerced into paying to play sport this semester and have not done so yet. I took a motion to our General Meeting on this and am lobbying for the refund.
- Supported sports team to host socials in the Union marquee
Other things I’ve been working on:
- Participated in the planning process for the asymptomatic testing centre, feeding in student concerns and views.
- Organised virtual activities, such as Netflix parties and competitions, to provide students with things to get involved with during lockdowns.