You'll never be bored in Oxford. We've put together our Top 10 Tourist Things to do in Oxford in your first few weeks.
1) Explore Oxford’s famous Covered Market in the centre of town. You'll find stalls offering the very best in local crafts, food and drink; some of which go back generations. Find out more.
2) Experience the quintessential Oxford outing and cruise along Oxford’s picturesque river Cherwell in punts, rowing boats or pedalos. If don't fancy doing the hard work yourself, you can hire a chauffeured punt! Find out more about where to punt in Oxford.
3) Oxford is home to some fantastic museums. Take some time to visit the Natural History Museum, Pitt Rivers and Ashmolean museum. They all house some incredible collections, from stunning neo-gothic architecture, archaeological and anthropological collections, and fascinating art and archaeology collections. Plus they're free to visit! They often host special events such as film screenings, exhibitions or late night specials.
4) Join a city walking tour. Oxford is often used as a film or TV location, so you'll often spot famous Oxford landmarks on Downton Abbey, Morse and Midsomer Murders, or in films such as Harry Potter! There is bound to be a walking tour to suit you! Google ‘Oxford Walking Tours’ for more information.
5) Visit the Botanic Gardens, which showcase nearly 6,000 different types of plant! The Botanic Garden has the most compact yet diverse collection of plants in the world. Plus, admission is free when you show your Brookes student ID.
6) Step back in time, with a Unique guided tour around Oxford’s historic Castle & Prison. Student admission (with valid ID) £10.
7) OK, so this isn't a cultural one, but shopping is definitely a leisure activity! If you haven't already, do check out the Westgate Shopping Centre: home to prestigious global brands, food outlets, leisure facilities and sophisticated rooftop bars and dining. The rooftop level, which is packed with bars and restaurants has amazing views across the city.
8) The city is home to more than 30 different Oxford University Colleges. Explore and find out more about the centuries of history, beautiful architecture and countless famous figures who have studied there!
9) Take a trip to the self-proclaimed ‘Sunny Side of Oxford’ - Cowley Road! Popular with Brookes students, this is the most diverse part of the city. It’s packed with characterful shops, cafes and restaurants, serving food from all over the world.
10) Tired of walking around the city? Hop on Oxfords’ sightseeing bus tour: the easiest way to see the city’s great attractions.