The Union President is ultimately responsible for providing the leadership and direction of the Students’ Union, through their role on senior University Committees and the Union’s Trustee Board. They also maintain an overview of all of the Union’s activities and financial matters.
Being a Sabbatical officer
All sabbatical officers are employed from 1 July 2021 to 30 June 2022 (you may be asked to start slightly earlier than this in order to have a handover period with the current officer team). Sabbatical officers are expected to work an average of 37 hours per week. You will be expected to work on arrivals weekend and participate in several University Open Days and Applicant Days throughout the year, which will happen occasionally on Saturdays. There will be occasional events throughout the year which require working in the evenings, and events which will require an overnight stay.
All sabbatical positions are paid roles (£20,130 per annum) and a student typically takes this either as a break from their studies or at the end of their course.
Overall purpose of post
- To represent the interests of the membership within the University and the wider community.
- To provide political leadership for the Students’ Union.
- To be a Trustee of the Union
- To act as a representative for students in discussions about core elements of the student experience, for example, catering and transport
- To act as a spokesperson for the Union; to the student body, University, external organisations and the wider community
- To be the main student liaison with the University’s Senior Management Team
- To be a voting member on the University’s Board of Governors
- To have overall responsibility for the Union’s finances
- To ensure the Union’s objectives are delivered, and that Union policy is being followed
- To promote student activities and development
- To sit on University committees as a student representative
- To represent Brookes Union at NUS events
- To be responsible for liaising with local residents and the community
- To oversee the strategic development of the Union and its services
- To communicate the work of the Union to all students
- An average of 37 hours a week
- Working over the weekend on arrivals weekend, open days and applicant days
- Occasional weekend and evening work and overnight trips
Read the full elections handbook
- The other officers and trustees
- The Union Chief Executive and members of the Management Team
- The Vice Chancellor, Deans, Pro Vice Chancellors, and other members of senior management of the University
- Officers of the NUS
How to nominate yourself
- You will need to create an account for the Brookes Union website, if you don't already have one. You can use your regular Oxford Brookes login
- Once you have an account, follow this link to your nominations page:
(You may need to accept the terms and conditions on the account first)
- Next, select the position you want to apply for, upload an image and manifesto text. (For tips on writing your manifesto, there's a section in the candidate pack.)
If you have any issues with this process, or have any other questions about applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.