VP Student voice is here to represent the academic interests of the student body, by supporting academic representatives and creating change in students’ teaching and learning experience. You will champion the voice of students through the University's academic structures.
Being a Sabbatical officer
All sabbatical officers are employed from 1 July 2020 to 31 June 2021 (you may be asked to start slightly earlier than this in order to have a handover period with the current officer team). Sabbatical officers are expected to work an average of 37 hours per week. You will be expected to work on arrivals weekend and participate in several University Open Days and Applicant Days throughout the year, which will happen occasionally on Saturdays. There will be occasional events throughout the year which require working in the evenings, and events which will require an overnight stay.
All sabbatical positions are paid roles (£20,130 per annum) and a student typically takes this either as a break from their studies or at the end of their course.
Overall purpose of post
- To represent the interests of students within the University and the wider community, with particular emphasis on academic experience
- To work with the officer team to provide political leadership for the Students’ Union.
- To be a Trustee of the Union
- To ensure the implementation of all Union policies
- Promote student representation and participation in the Union and University
- Promote student activities and development
- To sit on University committees as a student representative
Deputise for the President in their absence.
Be responsible for coordinating and supporting student representatives
Be responsible for coordinating student input into any internal or external Quality Assurance process
Oversee the strategic development of all services relating to Academic Support and Representation
To communicate the work of the Union to all students
- An average of 37 hours a week
- Working over the weekend on arrivals weekend, open days and applicant days
- Occasional weekend and evening work and overnight trips
Read the full candidate pack
- The other officers and trustees
The rep support staff team in the Union
The Pro Vice Chancellor, Associate Dean for Student Experience for each Faculty and other members of senior management of the University
The Student Support Coordinators
All elected student reps
How to nominate yourself
- You will need to create an account for the Brookes Union website, if you don't already have one. You can use your regular Oxford Brookes login
- Once you have an account, follow this link to your nominations page:
(You may need to accept the terms and conditions on the account first)
- Next, select the position you want to apply for, upload an image and manifesto text. (For tips on writing your manifesto, there's a section in the candidate pack.)
If you have any issues with this process, or have any other questions about applying, please email email@example.com.